Okay folks, in case you’re still wondering, wallpaper trends have changed again, and now it’s back! I know you’ve been meaning to get rid if that old dated wallpaper, thinking that the stuff is completely passe. You’ve resigned yourself to having that room with the leopard print wallpaper textured and painted like the rest of the house, and you still can, of course – we do it for our clients all the time – but if you secretly have a soft spot for pattern, the good news is that wallpaper is back, so you have our hearty blessing to go wallpaper shopping instead.
The new styles are spectacular indeed. Take a look at any design magazine (or our own Wallpaper Gallery) and you will see some of the most fantastic wallpapers you’ve ever dreamed of… some you won’t even recognize as wallpaper!
Some of our favorites wallpaper trends we’re installing:
- Grasscloth – either the real thing, or in a more refined version, such as with metallic threads woven in, or with a pattern imprinted on it.
- Commercial vinyl that LOOKS like grasscloth, or linen, or silk, or handmade rice paper, but without the fragility. This stuff is the standard for hotels, restaurants, and offices, where durability and washability is paramount. Got toddlers or pets in the house? No problem! You’d be amazed at how commercial vinyl looks AND feels these days. It no longer looks – dare we say it – “commercial” and plastic-y. Your space will feel like a beautiful high-end home, not a La Quinta!
- Bold patterns. Gone are the minutely-patterned papers of the past. Today’s patterns are bold and benefit from strong color contrasts and a grand sense of scale. We find they work best on accent walls or in smaller spaces like office nooks or powder baths!
- Papers with non-traditional materials like cork, metals, glass beads… These can get a little trendy, but they sure are pretty!
- Wallpaper murals! We’ve installed photo murals of cityscapes, of larger-than-life vintage cars, and more than one oversized floral wallpaper mural. They make the room!
(Are we tempting you yet?)
I’m serious, folks – I’ve been in this business for 35 years, I’ve seen a lot of wallpaper trends come and go, and I’ve never seen more exciting selection. Wallpapers now are much more elegant and sophisticated, and thus more likely to stand the test of time. Yes, they are more expensive than they used to be, but that’s okay because wallpaper can be used judiciously, on an accent wall or in a smaller space that begs for decoration, like a powder bath. (Not to mention ceilings!)
So if you’ve worn that “vintage” wallpaper way too long, don’t make any decisions about what to do until you’ve seen the latest incarnations of wallpaper. Start by browsing Instagram or Pinterest. Then you’ll be better informed on whether you want to add some fresh paint colors, or a little patterned pizazz to that room.